» Lovesreading06 2013 Books
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

» Wissy's Reading Log 2013
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

» Lovesreading06 blog 2012
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 pm

» Inc's 2012 Reading
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

» Read a book with the tilte of the month in on that month.
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

» 2012 Genre Challenge
by Weave Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

» Incognito In Stitches
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 pm

» The hello/goodbye thread..
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:47 pm

» What are you looking forward to?
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 pm

» What are you wearing?
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 pm

» Amazon (Marcus's Author Page)
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm

» Stupid questions
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

» What is everyone doing today?
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm

» Bones on Sky
by Weave Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Interview with Bronwen Winter Phoenix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interview with Bronwen Winter Phoenix

Post  Weave on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 am

Bronwen Winter Phoenix, author of 'Escaping Dreams, 'Nightswallow' and 'Grassmarket Blood'

Hi Bronwen, how are you? cheerful

Thank you for agreeing to do the interview. cheerful

1. Where do you get the ideas for your novels? Do you sit down and think of plot possibilities or do the stories come to you? ~

I used to write a lot from dreams. I get a lot of my ideas from dreams – sometimes entire stories. I have dreams that play out like movies, and can be the most graphic, vivid and sometimes disturbing things to experience. A recent example would be the time I dreamt I was following Richard Hammond over land and sea throughout a zombie apocalypse. That one was quite wonderful – and scary! I’ve had a few zombie dreams recently, so maybe my brain is trying to tell me something.

2. Have you ever thought about writing a series? And if so, what would it be about? ~

I’m not sure I have, to be honest. Do you mean like a short written series, a novel saga, or a TV series? A good TV/web series at the moment is Brent Spiner’s ‘Fresh Hell’. New episodes of that should be out pretty soon, you can catch that on YouTube.

You see, I get tired of sticking to the one thing. That’s why I can never stick to the one genre, they have to cross over and intermingle and each novel I write is completely different. I’d have to be very enamoured with an idea to want to stick with a series, and it’d have to be something other people want to read/watch.

3. Do any of your books/stories seem more special to you than the others and if so, why? ~

I think my best novel yet is ‘Grassmarket Blood’, my latest. It’s the first one I’ve written that wasn’t based on dreams, and it’s also the most light-hearted thing I’ve done so far. Although, saying that, everything I write seems to turn a bit dark – I have been tainted by some sort of Stephen King horror mentality (I just love his stuff). But yeah, I’ve really lightened up quite a lot since my debut, and it’s a lot more mainstream, too.

4. Do you have a particular favourite character from any of your stories and if so, why are they special to you? ~

Stanley Hobbes and Marcella Dimitrieva (both from ‘Grassmarket Blood’) are probably my favourite characters so far. I grow very attached to characters as I write them, and I found in GMB that I put a lot of myself into them, also. I’m also rather attached to the characters of the novel I’m currently working on. The main character for that is Meredith.

5. How difficult did you find it to break into the published world and have ebooks made life easier in this respect? ~

Ebooks have not made life easier for me, because I did the ebook thing after I was published (my new publisher is publishing all my older work in ebook format - 'Nightswallow' will join the other two as soon as I finish editing it!). But I’ve not exactly been the most conventional of published authors in that respect. I’m just waiting for my £million advance deal. Kidding. I think I’ll always write, no matter what I write, and no matter what form it comes out as. I’ve been lucky and unlucky in the way that things have come about. My latest publisher have really helped build my confidence and are great in that respect, although they are a small publisher and there’s only so much they can do to help me promote myself – not like the big budget ad campaigns places like Random House can put out.

6. What are your all time favourite books? ~

My all-time favourite book is something I first read when I was about 11, called ‘The Season of Passage’ by Christopher Pike. It’s been described as “the soul-searing novel of horror beyond horror” and mainly takes place in space. But they do take something back with them… it’s an amazing novel, I still love it. I always read adult horror as a kid, because the other stuff just wasn’t scary enough.

7. Would you say strong plots or well developed characters are more important to you in a story?What would spoil your enjoyment when reading a book? ~

I’d say character development and the way the story is told are more important than the overall plot. As long as it draws you in and is enjoyable, the rest is secondary. Although clever plots have their place and can really make a novel interesting, if you don’t have the rest then what’s the point? GMB for instance, doesn’t really have a hugely strong plot – it’s frivolous and silly and doesn’t have hugely intellectual twists that make it all fit together, but it *does* fit together and I’m told it’s enjoyable to read.

8. Do you ever find time to read other people's novels now? ~

Yes, I read a wonderful novel recently called ‘Manhattan Nocturne’ by Colin Harrison. I loved that book.

9. Please tell us a bit more about your new book ~

Grassmarket Blood is a weird/funny/frivolous crime thriller, set around the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The main character is called Stanley Hobbes and he works as an obituary writer for a fictional paper called the Edinburgh Times, until he accidentally uncovers a potential story through a ridiculous obituary scenario, gets ‘promoted’ to a Fringe reporter, and gets swept up in the weird and wonderful world of the Festival. He also meets a dangerous and endlessly fascinating half-Russian, half-Italian dancer along the way.

10. Do you have any new projects that you are currently developing? ~

Yes, I’m currently working on a weird/funny/sci-fi/thriller. It’s going well, but I’ve taken a little bit of a break, so looking to get back into it with fresh eyes. Hoping for good things this year!

11. If you got the opportunity, which one of your novels or series would you like to see as a film?

Probably ‘Grassmarket Blood’, although the novel I’m currently working on would work rather well as a film.

And which actor/actress would play the main character? ~

I think for ‘Grassmarket Blood’, Cillian Murphy would be excellent as Stanley. I kind of imagined him to look like that, and he is Irish, too.

12. My favourite book of yours is your first novel ~ ‘Escaping Dreams’, do you think you will write a sequel?

No, I’m sorry, but I can’t see that happening. It just feels like such a long time ago that I wrote it, and I’ve completely moved on. Looking back on it, it just feels a little immature now. I’m sure I’ll probably think the same about everything I write and look back on, though!

Thank you Bronwen for taking the time to talk to us, everyone at HAH wishes you all the very best in your future projects. cheerful

Escaping Dreams ~

Available at amazon.co.uk:

Click here for Paperback

Click here for Kindle edition

Available on amazon.com:

Click here for Paperback

Nightswallow ~

Available on amazon.co.uk:

Click here for Paperback

Available on amazon.com:

Click here for Paperback

Grassmarket Blood ~

Available on amazon.co.uk:

Click here for Paperback

Available on amazon.com:

Click here for Paperback

Weave
Admin

http://haveahootreadabook.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Interview with Bronwen Winter Phoenix

Post  Weave on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks again for agreeing to the interview, it was great talking to you. cheerful

Weave
Admin

http://haveahootreadabook.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lankylil on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Thank you for an interesting interview Very Happy

I'm a bossy, gobby & opinionated Christian chick. Married, with one son ~ with an addiction to reading and being in the 'great outdoors'.

Team Darcy study , Team Edward Vamp & Team Ash king Team Loki

lankylil

Back to top Go down

Post  Inver on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Good interview...thanks...

Inver

Back to top Go down

Post  Weave on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 am

If any of you have questions, please feel free to ask cheerful

Weave